Due to several spectacular accidents at sea, the International Maritime Organisation (IMO), by introducing the International Safety Management (ISM) Code, launched a powerful campaign towards the improvement of safety standards in shipping. In May 1994, the IMO Maritime Safety Committee (MSC) and the SOLAS Conference, enforced the application of the ISM Code in chapter IX of the International Convention for Safety of Life at Sea (SOLAS).
Internal ISM Audits on board
We can attend any type of ship or vessel, to carry out internal audits of the ISM.
The management systems must be introduced and certified for all operators and apply to:
- passenger ships and high-speed crafts of any size by 01 Jul 1998
- oil and chemical tankers, gas carriers, bulk carriers and high-speed craft 500 GRT and above, by 01 Jul 1998
- all other cargo ships and MODUs 500 GRT and above, by 01 Jul 2002
We offer ISM Internal Audits services locally – based, so operators can save travel expenses to their in-house auditors. We can audit the system following our procedures or can adapt to the operator’s audit procedures, guidelines, and templates.
ISM Internal Audits can be carried out in the following Spanish ports: Valencia, Sagunto, Castellón, Gandia, Alicante, Tarragona, Barcelona, Cartagena, and nearby ports.
Purpose of ISM Internal Audits
With onboard ISM Internal Audits, we verify:
- System effectiveness
- Compliance with instructions
- Process interfaces and interactions
- Compliance with rules and regulations
- Potential risks and failures
- Possible improvements
- Needs of motivation, communication, and training.
Harmonized Internal Audits
Along with ISM Internal Audits on board, we offer harmonized Internal Audits of the ISPS System and the MLC. The benefits of harmonized audits are:
- Reduction of frequency of audits
- Effective utilization of time and personnel resources
- Minimizing operational disturbance
- Better acceptance by the ship’s staff